• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Caterina L

Caterina L

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of an Orthodox way to heal memories. For example, a traumatic experience in the past (or childhood) or just a memory of anything that could have caused some sort of serious emotional trauma. I am not talking about someone sinning but a memory of being sinned against in some way that has seriously affected someone's life subconsciously. There are many non-Orthodox books (although they are Christian books) about this subject such as The Healing Code and Healing Memories that talk about "visualizing"/recalling the event and asking (and visualizing) Jesus to be there when it happens (which doesn't seem Orthodox to me), but I was wondering if there were any Orthodox books that dealt with this subject or any sayings from the Church Fathers that could lead me to an answer? Or any other opinions/thoughts about this? Thank you. Caterina.

#2 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Somehow I managed to miss this post until now.  Yes, Caterina, we have many books on the subject, beginning with Holy Scripture.  That's because virtually all of our books are about healing the mind.  But I think it begins with going to a priest/confessor whom you trust and revealing all that is on your heart. 

#3 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Reading book of Psalms is appropriate for healing, also the mystery of Holy Unction provides spiritual healing (and physical).

THE PSALTER AS A BOOK OF NEEDS, according to the usage of St. Arsenios of Cappadocia, as transmitted by the Athonite Elder Paisios:  http://www.voskrese....l/arsenios.html

#4 Dusja

Dusja

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thank you, Lakis!

About healing memories, I'd recommend confessing them, it usually helps, but I'm not a professional in healing, quite the contrary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users