3 replies to this topic

#1 Teofil Munteanu

Teofil Munteanu

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

Good evening esteemed brothers and sisters in Christ,

I have, for a long time, looked into the monastic life and have wished to be tonsured a monk, after I finish proper schooling and know more about our faith, of course. Can anyone please tell me how one knows when he is ''called'' to take on the monastic life? I know it is a very hard decision, and am well aware that one must first become a novice and remain for a period of time in the monastery (usually several years) before the spiritual father/abbot of the monastery knows for sure that the candidate is ready to be tonsured a monk. I would very much appreciate an answer to this question, preferably by a monk/nun or an Orthodox clergy member. Thank you all very much for your time, I wish you a blessed remainder of Lent and ask for your prayers.

-Teofil 

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

The best thing is to visit any monasteries that God calls you to and to speak with the abbot there.

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

You should consult your spiritual father.  This is not a matter for an open forum on the www.

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

As Father Raphael (himself a monk of many years experience) said: Visit monasteries, live there as a layman worker for a period of time, consult the spiritual father and abbot of the monastery as well as your own spiritual father.  If you are truly called to be a monastic, you will likely be approached by the abbot with the suggestion that you become a novice.

Fr David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users