Photo
- - - - -

Is it wrong to kiss outside of marriage?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orthodoxfighter

Orthodoxfighter

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I understand that this is a pastoral issue but I just wanted the general consensus.

I would like to know, when one meets the person they want to marry. What is deemed acceptable and what isn't? Obviously sex outside of marriage is a sin. What about kissing, holding hands, embracing each other? Are they all deemed inappropriate until the time of marriage?

Then there is the issue that nowadays people are numb to what is too far and do things naively thinking that it's ok because 'its nothing compared to what I would have done before I was a practising Christian'.

Finally I would like someone to explain why a married couple cannot engage in love making for example on a Sunday morning and then partake of Holy Communion.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Forgive me

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have nothing to go on, but I would say that kissing, holding hands, and hugging are all right. Surely a couple who intend marriage ought to be able to display affection towards each other. 

The Church teaches that we are to fast before taking Holy Communion, at least from the previous day, and fasting includes abstention from marital relations. 

#3 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Matthew 6:21 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

If this is such an important issue that you had to ask - I, as a pastor, would have to say: "if you wouldn't do this with your sister/brother, don't do it with any other person."  Thus if you hug your sister, then you can hug your girlfriend - if you hold hands with your sister, then you can hold hands with your girlfriend - if you kiss your sister, then you can kiss your girlfriend. 

Fr David

#5 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

oooo, Easy there Fr. that's may open up a can of worms we dont' want to broach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users