3 replies to this topic

#1 J. Haun

J. Haun

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hello,

I recently came across an interview with a deacon of the Russian Orthodox Church named Alexander Mumrikov. The link to the interview is here

http://www.dennislew...rayer-of-jesus/

Can anyone comment on this article-is the interviewee a genuine deacon of the Orthodox Church?

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Neither I nor my wife have ever heard of him.  It's a strange surname but nothing turns on that.  Googling him in Russian turns up a few articles, some of which seem a little . . . well, to have a slightly new age-ish element.  I see no point in considering such articles/interviews on the Jesus Prayer when there is a mass of reliable literature.

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

The blogger who featured the interview is clearly someone who dabbles in various flavours of "esoteric spirituality". His attempt to appropriate the Jesus Prayer is a symptom of such dilettantism. Who knows, he may have presented selections of the interview to suit his "philosophy".

#4 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

The blogger who featured the interview is clearly someone who dabbles in various flavours of "esoteric spirituality". His attempt to appropriate the Jesus Prayer is a symptom of such dilettantism. Who knows, he may have presented selections of the interview to suit his "philosophy".

Olga,

Have you been hanging out with Herman lately?

Noun[edit]

dilettantism (countable and uncountable; plural dilettantisms)

1. The act of behaving like a dilettante, of being an amateur or "dabbler", sometimes in the arts. Also the act of enjoying the arts, being a connoisseur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users