Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

I was asked if their are seven levels of Heaven.

I cant seem to find it in the bible, I think St Paul?

Does anyone know were it is in the scriptures?

Many Thanks

Angela

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

St. Paul knew someone taken into the 3rd heaven.

#3 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

An Exposition of the Orthodox Faith (Book II) http://www.newadvent...thers/33042.htm

Chapter 6. Concerning the Heaven.

The heaven of heaven, then, is the first heaven which is above the firmament. So here we have two heavens, for God called the firmament also Heaven. (Genesis 1:8) And it is customary in the divine Scripture to speak of the air also as heavens, because we see it above us. Bless Him, it says, all you birds of the heaven, meaning of the air. For it is the air and not the heaven that is the region in which birds fly. So here we have three heavens, as the divine Apostle said. (2 Corinthians 12:2)  But if you should wish to look upon the seven zones as seven heavens there is no injury done to the word of truth. For it is usual in the Hebrew tongue to speak of heaven in the plural, that is, as heavens, and when a Hebrew wishes to say heaven of heaven, he usually says heavens of heavens, and this clearly means heaven of heaven , which is above the firmament, and the waters which are above the heavens, whether it is the air and the firmament, or the seven zones of the firmament, or the firmament itself which are spoken of in the plural as heavens according to the Hebrew custom.

I think there is no direct reference το "7 heavens" in Bible. But in the Jewish tradition there is belief in 7 heavens. Seems that this tradition was known by some Church Fathers and by apostles of Jewish origin.

#4 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

Thank you.  Yes, St Paul.

So, I wonder were I heard about the seventh heaven?

Could it be the fathers?

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

"So, I wonder were I heard about the seventh heaven?"  Film of 1937 with James Stewart?

#6 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

The only place I know of the levels of heaven being discussed in any detale is the late medieval texts Dante's Divine commody, which is a Roman Catholic text.  The only other place I know of levels or ranks being discussed (beyond the third heaven in St Paul's writings) is in phodo Dionyseos.  Both of these talk of 9 levels rather than seven.  I think that troditions rather than formal theology of the church.

Phoebe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users