• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

This is all very anglocentric - what expression might be used in koine Greek, Church Slavonic, and Romanian?  For Greek how about διαστημοπλεόντων?  Or does make the Greeks here fall about laughing??

Diastemopleonton would mean "those sailing (in) space". Nautical terms have, since the beginning, carried over into the language of aviation, such as (air)ship. (air)craft, fleet, and (flight) deck. This has also been the case in space terminology, particularly astronaut and, the more accurate, cosmonaut. So, while it sounds somewhat awkward at first, diastemopleonton may well be a suitable new word for those who travel in space.

I suspect the first local church to introduce a new petition along these lines would be the Russian rather than the Greek, given that they have been at the forefront of space exploration since its inception more than 55 years ago. If they do, their choice of terminology should be instructive.

#22 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm sure Father Job will come up with the appropriate Church Slavonic word.

#23 Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

Greek service books from before the 1970s do contain this petition.

Are there PDFs of them available, or are there any old Greek books still in print with this petition? Any other jurisdictions as well, because I would like to hear this, not just in ROCOR churches, but everywhere, because the content is very apropos. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liturgy, petition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users