8 replies to this topic

#1 SymeonG

SymeonG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

Greetings!

I am in need of acquiring the complete menaion (12 vol set) in English. HTM's version is the only one I can actually find a photo of online. It is very handsome in appearance and I have read praiseworthy comments about it. Some say the translation is somewhat lacking, others also say it is not well suited to Slavonic chant and hymnody. Some say a good chanter is able to accomodate that easily.  Some people online wrote that the SJKP version is not as complete as the HTM, and that it has many typos (perhaps this was referring to the 1st edition only?) All these contradictory comments I have managed to find from various sources online leave me only more doubtful than when I started looking for solid leads on what might be the best edition to buy. 

I would like to be sure which set to invest almost 1500 dollars in ( includes shipping and importation taxes).

I really hope someone here can give me sage advice on which set to buy.

Thanks very much,

Symeon 

#2 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hellow Symeon,

I have the SJKP edition (the new edition), and I have seen the HTM edition (my old church used it).

I've done a little Byzantine chant, but am more familiar with Russian (obikhod) chant--hence the reason i have the SJKP edition. You can go to HTM's website and check out a pdf sample of their menaion. You'll see that the vesperal stichera are metered according to the Byzantine melodies. It's true that this does not prevent you from chanting in the Russian style, but it does get somewhat annoying if you're not using it. (The matins canons do not have this meter.) Further, the HTM version lists the tones in the byzantine format (e.g., "plagal of fourth tone") instead of the Russian format.

I find the SJKP edition a bit easier to use since I follow the Russian tradition. I'll also note that I have only found one very minor typo so far, so I think the comments about "many typos" must refer to the first edition.

As far as production quality: They are both extremely well done. I think the paper quality is slightly better on the HTM, and it's true that the HTM is done in black and red throughout (which is nice), while the SJKP edition is all in black. I would be happy to send you a few photos and pdfs of the SJKP edition for your reference if you private message me. Also, I believe both have made efforts to include both Green and Russian (and American saints), so I don't think difference in content is a huge issue--though the HTM edition does have a bunch of supplementary materials in the first volume.

- John

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

I have both the original loose leaf edition of the SJoKP and the current hardbound 3rd edition.  While there were a number of typos and other small errors in the original loose leaf edition, they have for the most part been corrected in the 3rd edition.  You will find, in some cases different saints commemorated on different days in these works as there are minor differences in commemoration days between the Greek and Slav practices. You will also find some services absent from one or the other collection as the various local traditions emphasize different saints.  (I have not seen the HTM version at all, however I would be interested to see if they had, for example, the Royal Martyrs or the Optina Fathers or St Theophan, the recluse, of Vysha). 

The new edition of the SJoKP collection is well bound and printed on quality paper.  Like any hardbound book it may be more difficult to use on the kliros (I find loose leaf sheets much easier to lie flat and shuffle through) but that will be the case with any hardbound book. The SJoKP will be consistent in translation with both the other SJoKP liturgical books as well as the Holy Trinity Monastery books.  I have been using the SJoKP set for more than 25 years and have been overall very satisfied with it.

Fr David MOser

#4 SymeonG

SymeonG

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Thank you both for this advice. I would eventually like to be able to master both the Russian and the Byzantine tones. However, since I am beginning to learn to chant Russian style and am not adept at it, and am more familiar with the Russian tones from listening to services, it is probably the best set. I was worried about getting the SJKP editions because of a few reviews that seemed to find them faulty. However, your comments have made me feel secure in being able to buy them with assurance that they will be satisfactory. Thank you both very much.

-Symeon

#5 Rdr Thomas

Rdr Thomas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Symeon,

If I could add:  My parish recently purchased a copy of the Menaion from SJKP in loose leaf form.  If I had it to do over again, we would have purchased hardback copies.  The main reason is that I was stunned to find that it wasn't in chronological order.  It took days to get it arranged properly.  Another reason is that loose leaf sheets have an unfortunate tendency to wander away for choir copies, etc.

I agree with Fr. David on the usability of loose leaf, but after one of our readers began purchasing the hardback versions of the Menaion for his personal use, I think they would have been just as usable, at least on our reader stand.  The binding of the books was quite flexible.  Your mileage may vary!

Thomas

#6 Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Greetings!

I am in need of acquiring the complete menaion (12 vol set) in English. HTM's version is the only one I can actually find a photo of online. It is very handsome in appearance and I have read praiseworthy comments about it. Some say the translation is somewhat lacking, others also say it is not well suited to Slavonic chant and hymnody. Some say a good chanter is able to accomodate that easily.  Some people online wrote that the SJKP version is not as complete as the HTM, and that it has many typos (perhaps this was referring to the 1st edition only?) All these contradictory comments I have managed to find from various sources online leave me only more doubtful than when I started looking for solid leads on what might be the best edition to buy. 

I would like to be sure which set to invest almost 1500 dollars in ( includes shipping and importation taxes).

I really hope someone here can give me sage advice on which set to buy.

Thanks very much,

Symeon 

What is SJKP? St John of Kronstadt Press? I recognize HTM (Holy Transfiguration Monastery).

#7 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

SJKP is St John of Kronstadt Press.

#8 Nathaniel Woon

Nathaniel Woon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Can anyone post a PDF of what the SJOKP Menaion looks like? I have always wondered what it looks like on the inside, the font size etc.

#9 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

I have tried to post a PDF or image of one of the pages here, but I cannot seem to get it to work. If you private message me with your e-mail, I would be happy to send you a copy.

- John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users