341 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel Jeandet

Daniel Jeandet

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 05:56 AM

The Truth will find you if you want it to. I promise!

Welcome to this place, hope you find all you are seeking within the Holy Orthodox Church. Please ignore us humans if we seem to be bad reflections of our Lord. Its the way we learn. We are all learning, and He is always teaching.

#42 Guest_James Nee

Guest_James Nee
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2003 - 08:39 PM

Jared,

Welcome to the board! I'm new, too, both to this board and to Orthodoxy. I trust God will bless your openess. Keep searching for the Truth... it will be found.

#43 Guest_Byzcath1

Guest_Byzcath1
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:25 PM

Welcome, and good luck in your journey. You have found the right religion.

#44 Fr Averky

Fr Averky

Former frequent poster (deceased)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 02:52 AM

Daniel,

That was a very good post. thank you.

Fr. A.

#45 Guest_helen

Guest_helen
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:22 AM

Hi and welcome Jarred!
I am quite new here as well.....there are lots of information in ''Monachos'' site..and Im sure you will find many who are willing to help you on your path to the truth!
In Christ,
helen....

#46 Guest_Katie Rubush

Guest_Katie Rubush
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2004 - 02:33 AM

I'm new to MONACHOS and to Orthodoxy. I was made a Catechumen recently. I've been going to church and reading and talking with people, but I still want to learn more. Any advice would me much appreciated!

Katie

#47 Guest_Rebecca

Guest_Rebecca
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:53 PM

Hi Katie,

Welcome Posted Image

I remember hearing a lecture by Fr. Thomas Hopko where he said the following was good advice for the Orthodox:

Go to church, say your prayers, and remember God.

As I recall he said it was advice his mom had given her children. It seems simple, but it really hit home for me...doing those things is what makes all the other learning (reading/discussing, etc) make sense.

As for reading, I remember reading the Life of St. Sava as being particularly meaningful as an example of someone who followed the advice mentioned above.

Best Regards...

#48 Guest_Mary Kissel

Guest_Mary Kissel
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:59 PM

Hi, I'm new here too... I'm unsure about how to start a new topic on here so I figured it'd be ok to just reply to this one. I am an Orthodox Christian and a wife. I don't have much else to say right now...I just figured it would be good to at least make my first post and say hello to everyone.

In Christ,
Mary

#49 Melissa

Melissa

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 03:22 PM

Hello, Mary and Katie,
Welcome! You'll find many fine people here willing to help you with your questions and offer support as you continue your lives as Orthodox Christians. One priest whom I consulted as I was becoming a Catechumen (we were received into the Church 3+ years ago) said to take my time, that it takes a few years to really understand that it takes years (!) for converts to understand what being Orthodox has done and will do in their lives. My own priest reinforced that idea, and I have found it to be true.
Much richness lies before you!
I'll keep you in my prayers -
Melissa

#50 Guest_Mary Kissel

Guest_Mary Kissel
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2004 - 03:50 PM

Hi Melissa, thankyou for the welcome. I don't have any questions right at this moment, but I will ask any that come to mind. I agree that it is true though about what you said about taking a while to understand what being Orthodox really means.

#51 Fr Averky

Fr Averky

Former frequent poster (deceased)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:31 AM

Dear Katie and Mary,

God bless you and welcome to Monachos. Mary, are you Justin's wife? If so, warmly greet him for me. Katie, God help and bless you on your path to salvation - at times that path can turn into quite a rough and bumpy road, but just hold on and be patient, and you will find that God will always send the help you need at just the right time. Whatever happens to us He allows, for it is always to the good. And, be assured of our prayers and willingness to help in our small way.

Have a good Great Lent-you and Mary.

In Christ,
hieromonk Averky

#52 Guest_Katie

Guest_Katie
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2004 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't really have any questions at the moment, but I do feel a little bit like "what next?" I've been meeting with my priest and he's been giving me books to read, but lately, I just haven't been "feeling it." I guess I just wish I had more faith than I am ready to have at this moment. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Katie

#53 Guest_Archimandrite Gregory

Guest_Archimandrite Gregory
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:09 PM

GLORY BE TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!

Dear Katie, +May the LORD grant that you grow in holiness and Godliness daily! My only advice would be, BE PATIENT with yourself and set aside time DAILY to pray. Remember that everything in the Church of Christ is there to bring us closer to Him and therefore to be used as tools to deepen our relationship with the Lord Jesus. May you become a great Saint!

In Him Who calls us,
+Father Archimandrite Gregory, who asks for your holy prayers!

#54 Melissa

Melissa

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:35 PM

Katie - If your priest agrees, one thought is to put the books on the back burner, so to speak, for a little while. If there are one or two that seem to resonate with you, keep going to those, but mainly, read the Bible and say the morning and evening prayers, and go to services as often as you can. If you let yourself grow quiet, and don't fret about your faith, God will warm your heart. This is the hardest piece of advice I've been given, I think, courtesy of Father Averky Posted Image, but it has helped me very much.
God bless you and your efforts-
Melissa

#55 Guest_Janice Chadwick

Guest_Janice Chadwick
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:33 PM

I have to agree with Melissa on this last post. You can read so much, that you get so confused because you're trying to rush things and stuff too much in your head at once. Let your priest guide you in what you should be reading and learning at the pace he sets for you. Just as a child grows in steps, growth in Orthodoxy happens the same way, and we can't really bypass steps if we're going to grow properly. Be patient. I found that I was confused at so many things when I first started learning, but understanding came with time and growth. One day, something I didn't understand would just start to click into place.

#56 Guest_Mary Kissel

Guest_Mary Kissel
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:50 PM

Dear Father Averky,
Yes, I'm his wife Posted Image I'll pass on to him that you said hello to him. Thankyou to all who welcomed me, and also, hi Katie Janice Chadwick, your name looks very familiar...I can't figure where I might have seen you at before though. And also Katie, I have to agree with the others on this thread as well about the reading and other various things, and if you notice you're having problems, don't hesitate to talk to your priest as well, he can't help you if he doesn't know that you need help Posted Image Priests are like Doctors in that way, just like if you don't tell the Doctor all that is wrong with you so he can give a proper diagnosis and prescribe something that would fit the illness, that's just how it is with a priest Forgive my rambling

#57 Guest_Katie

Guest_Katie
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the advice. I know I at times need a reminder to be patient. Patience is something I am still working on. I've been praying and trying to go to church and take it easy with everything. As much as I know it all takes time, sometimes I just wish it was easier, but then it wouldn't be real.

Katie

#58 Johanna

Johanna

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:45 PM

I am fairly new to the discussion community and have been a silent partner for the most part, mainly because I am so new to the Faith and am just learning and am certainly in no position to give advice, etc. I do want to thank each of you for your participation in the group because it has been a real blessing to me and a help with some of my questions. Of course, a lot of the discussions are way over my head but I guess it’s okay not to understand all that is discussed since I am so new to the Faith. I have been Orthodox for five months now and am thrilled to have found the True Faith. My problem is that my church is a small Orthodox mission made up mostly of converts with the oldest having been Orthodox for ten years. There are no older women in our community and I so desperately feel a need for an older spiritual woman who is established in the Faith to take me under her wing and teach me and mentor me. My priest has been so good to me and meets with me regularly for instruction and guidance and this certainly plays a huge role in my learning and spiritual growth. It’s just that I long to have a relationship with some Godly Orthodox women who really have a heart for God and have been in the Faith for some time. I don’t know if there is an answer to this problem or if I should be ashamed of myself for being so needy. Does anybody have any suggestions?

In Christ,

Johanna

#59 Guest_dianne marie debs

Guest_dianne marie debs
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:13 PM

Dear Johanna,

Welcome to Orthodoxy!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if you have read my personal file but I was born and raised Orthodox for some of my childhood. Although in my teens I did grow away from my faith, the Lord made me realize my true path when He saw fit. Now I am home again.

Orthodoxy is a beautiful faith. One that begins and flows from our hearts... the point of love.
The true way to grow in the faith is to work on your relationship with God through the gift that He has bestowed upon us...The Bible.

Watch the calendar and read the Sunday verses ahead of time. Then listen very carefully to your parish priest and what he says about them; then ask questions. Don't let any scripture pass without understanding it. Eventually your knowlegde will guide and shape you as Our Lord wants.

In my parish here in Lebanon our priest meets with us (the parish women) every 2 weeks. He helps us mold ourselves and strengthen our faith together.

I offer myself to you for any time you need. You can click on my name in blue to open my profile.

God Bless. Be diligent.

In Our Lord's Name,
An unworththy servant,
Dianne

#60 Johanna

Johanna

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 08:36 PM

Dear Dianne,

Thank you so much for your good words and encouragement and offering yourself as a way of help, etc. I may e-mail you privately later if that is okay.

Again, thanks so much and God bless.

Johanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users