• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serafim robberstad

Guest_Serafim robberstad
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:44 PM

Dear Fathers, brother and sisters
*or sister and brothers...*

I need a copy of the monastic ritual for Rasophore and Stavrophore - in English.

I hope sombody on this list can help me.....

In Christ
Serafim+

unworthy hieromonk in Sweden.

#2 Fr Averky

Fr Averky

Former frequent poster (deceased)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 04:39 AM

Dear Fr. Seraphim,

Send me an e-mail or a private message on Monachos with your address, and I will send you a copy of the service. You can find the information by clicking on my name in the left hand column, and then go to my profile. Yes, Father Seraphim, I do exist!

In Christ,

Fr. A.

#3 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:21 AM

Christ is Risen! Indeed, He is Risen!

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ

I did a google search for Stavrophore and this is the first hit I got.
Is it true that Stavrophore Monks can never get married even if they
want to divorce their celibacy?

#4 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

please what the mean of "Rasophore ".

IN ONE CHRIST, best regards, Theopesta

#5 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

Rasophore = "The first degree of a true monk with the full obligations of chastity, obedience, and stability."

#6 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:00 AM

MR. Theophilus,
a lot of thanks for your answers

#7 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

Dear Theophilus,

Your post: 'Rasophore = "The first degree of a true monk with the full obligation of chastity, obedience, and stability.' needs clarification.

On the Holy Mountain, in the Greek Monasteries, where there are only two stages: Ryassophoros, and Great Schema your statement/quote is true.

However, on the Holy Mountain, in the Slavic Monasteries: St. Panteleimon, Zographou, Hilandari, Skiti Prodomos, and the various sketes, kellies, and hermitages dependant upon the above mentioned monasteries there are three stages i) Ryassophore, ii) Small Schema, iii) Great Schema.

During the the Service of Ryassophore, the novice/monk says nothing. Only in the second stage, Small Schema in the Slavic tradition, or the Great Schema in the Greek tradition, does the monk pronounce vows.

He/she is then fully a monastic.

Hope this helps.

#8 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:11 AM

On the Holy Mountain, in the Greek Monasteries, where there are only two stages: Ryassophoros, and Great Schema your statement/quote is true.

However, on the Holy Mountain, in the Slavic Monasteries: St. Panteleimon, Zographou, Hilandari, Skiti Prodomos, and the various sketes, kellies, and hermitages dependant upon the above mentioned monasteries there are three stages i) Ryassophore, ii) Small Schema, iii) Great Schema.

The Small Schema does exist in the Greek tradition (at least among the clergy), however it is not seen as a progression from Ryassophore to Small then Great Schema but is used for a different purpose: a monk-clergyman who is to live in the world, e.g. a Bishop or a Hieromonk who is a Parish Priest.

With love in Christ

Alex

#9 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

The Small Schema does exist in the Greek tradition (at least among the clergy), however it is not seen as a progression from Ryassophore to Small then Great Schema but is used for a different purpose: a monk-clergyman who is to live in the world, e.g. a Bishop or a Hieromonk who is a Parish Priest.

I don't think this is quite right. The small schema is, in the usual Greek tradition, seen as the next stage of progression after the novitiate (which will normally include a period as a ryassophore); however, in many situations, the presentation of the lesser and great schema are simultaneous: they happen as part of the ceremony. But the lesser is not abandoned -- it is seen instead as part of the full armour of the monastic clothing, of which the greater schema is also a part, and they are given together.

The reason hierodeacons or hieromonks serving in the world (i.e. away from the monastery) are usually given the lesser schema, but not the greater, is not because it is reserved for this kind of service, but because the increased obedience of the greater schema, in terms of obedience to the abbot, community, etc., is often seen as too great a burden to place on the shoulders of a monk who will be serving primarily away from the monastery, in the world. So instead of being given both the lesser and greater schemas together, they are given only the lesser, as better suited to the nature of their diakonema in the world.

INXC, Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users