#1 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 May 2003 - 04:18 AM

Nicholas, I don't want, in any way, to be rude but I went to your site and saw something that seemed strange to me. There was an advertisement for clothing that was described as "modest clothing". The clothing looked like the sort that the Amish wear. What does clothing of this sort have to do with the Orthodox?

Again, I'm not in any way being rude. I would sincerely like to know because I haven't seen anything like this before.

Effie

#2 Justin

Justin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:55 PM

I haven't seen anything like this before.

I think that was Nicholas' point to. It's hard for people to find modest clothes--whether they want to wear the clothes to work, church, or whatever else. Guys usually have no problem finding some pants and a shirt that are modest (if that's what is called for, such as when a conservative Church is being attended). Girls usually have a tougher time. I think the "last straw" that motivated Nicholas to create the page was his disgust over what types of clothes they were selling to children (he has a daughter he was trying to buy clothes for). Most of the clothes are such that an adult Orthodox Christian would be ashamed to wear them, certainly they wouldn't be appropriate for children. The page also links to places that have head coverings, which a number of girls have had a hard time finding (I know, because my wife has had a hard time! Posted Image ) Nicholas is not insisting that everyone go out and dress like the Amish! He offered the page as a resource for people like my wife, who want to be able to buy clothes for themselves and their families that they can't find in the normal stores.

#3 Guest_Nicholas Stanosheck

Guest_Nicholas Stanosheck
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2003 - 03:01 PM

Yeah Justin's got it. :D

In Christ
-Nicholas
Euphrosynos Cafe

#4 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 05:20 PM

Thank you, Nicholas and Justin.

Here in Greece we don't wear head scarves when we go to Church although I have noticed that newly arrived Russians do. The dress code here is not as strict as it appears to be in your area. Formal clothes are worn to church i.e. suits etc.. Trousers are frowned upon although there are always a few women who like to make an impression or something..... girls in their teens wear trousers because that's what they wear during the day but I don't think they're at fault - it's their mothers responsibility. When we visit monasteries we always wear a skirt and some women make sure they have a head scarf with them just in case the nuns ask them to wear one.

Thank you for the explanation.

Effie

#5 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

[h=2][/h] [h=3]Elder Porphyrios and the Scantily Clothed Women[/h]

Posted Image

Two incidents from the life of the holy Elder Porphyrios demonstrate the discernment we must have regarding our neighbor.

The Girl With the "Super Mini Skirt" Has a Wonderful Soul!

Years ago, when the Elder served at the Polyclinic of Athens, while walking in the area of Omonoia one day with two girls who were his spiritual children, he saw from across the street a young woman coming with a sexy appearance. She was wearing the familiar "super mini skirt" which was fashionable. When they saw her, the Elder said:

"What do you have to say? What are you thinking? Are you judging that woman?"

"No, Elder", they responded, understanding their position.

"You do well to not judge her", said the Elder. "Do not judge people from their outward appearance. That girl you see has a wonderful soul! She has a dynamic soul. That which she is doing now, that is provoking, is due to the strength of her soul. Imagine what would happen if that girl came to know Christ, and knew everything that you knew. Then she will certainly reach a high place."

This was the way Fr. Porphyrios counseled and taught. He guided through life and experience.

They Came to the Elder With Indecent Clothing

One day, when I went to the Elder, he met with some girls who had come to see him. However, they were dressed indecently. Elder Porphyrios chatted with them on various spiritual topics, but he made no comment regarding their appearance. I, admittedly, was internally indignant with these girls, who went to such a holy Elder dressed in this way, and I was scandalized by the fact that Elder Porphyrios did not make any observations.

When the girls left, he said to me, smiling:

"Mr. (so and so), I am not as strict as you are."

Of course, I knew immediately that he had captured my thoughts and scandalization. But I asked him:

"Why do you say that, Elder?"

He said then:

"Those girls came here with that appearance and I did not make a comment. I have another tactic. Because, even if I did talk about their appearance, since they have no faith in Christ, they would not comply. I first attempted to bring them to faith in Christ, and then, by themselves, they will understand their error and correct it."

Source: Ἀνθολόγιο Συμβουλῶν Γέροντος Πορφυρίου, σελ. 168, 169. Translation by John Sanidopoulos.

#6 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

My wife has never had problems finding "modest clothes", and we live on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

#7 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have a change finding modest clothing as a young orthodox woman, I have taken to miching and matching to achieve the modesty I want from what is available which userly lacks in one area or anther but with some creative thought it is possible. though I do not need a head covering for church I made one for when I do need one as there were none apraperate available I am also known to alter cloths so that they are acceptable as cloths suterble for my age can be difficult to get as modesty is not normally seen as a virtue by my peers.

Phoebe

#8 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

...girls in their teens wear trousers because that's what they wear during the day...

FYI, men wear trousers. Women wear slacks.

#9 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

FYI, men wear trousers. Women wear slacks.

Usage does vary around the anglophone world. It was startling for us in England to see discussed whether women should wear pants in church!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users