#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

Dear message forum members,

An upgrade of the Monachos.net system is pending, part of which will include an upgrade to the design layout and interface.

Those of you who are frequent readers of the website are invited to look at an extremely rough, beta version of the new layout, currently applied only to a few pages for testing. These pages are found in the Liturgics area by clicking this link.

Your comments on the new layout are most welcome, and can be posted in this thread for discussion by others.

(Please note that at the time of this posting, the header of the new pages is not complete: the grey bar across the top of the page is not intended as the final result -- the relevant graphic is being produced.)

INXC, Matthew

#2 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

NB: Please note that the A-Z index bar for quick linking to source texts (available in some pages of the new design) will not yet function properly: it will take you to the A-Z index, but not to the appropriate letter. (This is because the A-Z index page is currently on the existing/'old' layout; when it is converted, the linkage will work properly.)

INXC, Matthew

#3 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

Very good job, Dr Steenberg.

I like the austerity of page formatting, which is so appealing at the same time.

I also like the links from specific versus of Scriptures to biblegateway.com site. I wonder if it could be possible to link on specific version (king james, new king james, darby) according to preselection from forum user profiles.

Also I find the SPIonic greek format quite out of time (although it is used by scholars), because every modern OS supports ancient greek fonts. I wonder if this could also be preselected from forum user profiles as an option.

I know that it is quite exterminative to reformat a whole web site! Congratulations on your work and I hope that you may "survive" from the reformat process.

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:35 PM

Friends,

A new bit of functionality that I would particularly be keen to have tested: the new layout will provide the ability to configure your display settings through safe cookies, allowing you to increase or decrease font sizes, change the font used, etc, for ease in reading the documents on-line.

In the Liturgics area, you can test this functionality by clicking the Configure Display link on the right-hand side of pages, then using the drop-down list on the resulting page to select one of the two modes currently available: (1) Monachos Default (font is Verdana, non-serif); or (2) Times New Roman (with serifs).

Could people please test this and let me know if/how it works, as well as reactions? Once I am certain that the cookies aspect is functioning properly, I'll add in the extra bits to allow for larger and smaller font sizes, etc.

(Please note: the other personalisation fields -- e.g. name, title, country, etc. -- are not yet functional. You can simply leave them blank for the time being.)

INXC, Matthew

#5 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

dr. MATH. I make this test I hope I am not mistaken and understand what your reverence want

p.s. I am not knowledgable in the net if I am not understand forgive me

this is the result
http://www.monachos..../set_cookies.pl

#6 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

this is the result of using the Times New Roman display

http://www.monachos..../set_cookies.pl

name, title, country are written by black bold large font I cannot know the size but very big and comfertable to my eye
the remain are also large but not bolded

#7 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

I was able to set up the Configure Display--unfortunately I have no idea what it's purpose is!

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#8 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

Fr Raphael wrote:

I was able to set up the Configure Display--unfortunately I have no idea what it's purpose is!

Dear Father,

The purpose of this feature will (eventually) be to enable readers to change the font and font-size of all text on the web site, to accommodate those with poor eyesight or who find other fonts easier to read (or simply more pleasant) than our standard Verdana.

Currently, the only field that matters in the 'Configure Display' area is the 'Display Mode' drop down list. If you select 'Monachos Standard', you should see the new pages in the Liturgics area in the usual Verdana font. If you select 'Times New Roman', then go back to any of the new-layout pages in the Liturgics area, you should find that they new appear with all font in Times New Roman (a font with serifs, and more of a typewriter style).

Does this work for you?

INXC, Matthew

#9 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

Dear Matthew,
Thanks for the explanation!

By changing the font setting back & forth a few times between Monachos Standard & Times New Roman I was able to see that this function does indeed work for me.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

PS: Would you know how this cookie is identified? I have been using Webroot's Window Washer for the past while and before I discovered there was a save cookies setting I washed & deleted all my cookies! You know what happens then- you have to re-register for all your groups- monachos, yahoo, etc.(including trying to remember your password!) Now I realise that one needs to save the cookies for favourite websites before doing a 'wash' but there is a bit of guess-work on identifying them.

#10 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

Dear Fr Raphael,

All the cookies for Monachos.net should be registered under either the www.monachos.net or monachos.net domains on your computer: your washing programme should have some feature to allow cookies from specific domains: if you add these, it should preserve Monachos cookies when you perform your sweep. (All such functionality is built into the FireFox browser, as some others.)

Monachos has for several years used cookies in the Message Boards, to remember login settings, check for messages since last visit, etc. The new layout design will also employ minimal cookie usage on document (i.e. non-message board) pages to control font and font-size, etc.

INXC, Matthew

#11 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

Dear all,

Some further change to the graphical layout of the new pages has taken place today, and will do throughout the week. Additional feedback, bug reports, etc, is most welcome.

I realise that there is a bug with the left- and right-column background graphics at the moment when viewed in Internet Explorer (bug not present in FireFox). This is being worked on. Do check back from time to time if you use IE, to see if it has mended itself.

Now is the time for feedback / wish-lists, etc. Monachos does not undergo thorough overhauls that often, so do voice your opinions of there are features, design elements, etc, you would like to see incorporated into the web site.

INXC, Matthew

#12 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

Yes the graphics are not fully visible using IE but are with Firefox. I've been using the Firefox Browser (along with Mozilla Thunderbird email) for about 3 months now. I understand it is much more secure than IE. It also downloads websites so much faster than does IE- why the difference I do not know.
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#13 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

For those testing the new pages and functionality: you should now be able to change the font size in either supported font format (Monachos default and Times New Roman), between the normal/default size and 'Larger Font'. This is configurable from the 'Configure Display' link on the new pages.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with this feature.

INXC, Matthew

#14 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

I am testing the 4fonts no trouble with this feature
I think the the best for me is:
Monachos Standard Display LARGER FONT SIZE.

#15 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

Dear all: for those testing the new pages in Microsoft Internet Explorer: the problem with the cropped / cut off / repeating graphics in the left- and right-hand columns should now be fixed. I would be grateful to know if the pages are now displaying properly in readers' installations of IE.

(Unfortunately, the stationary graphical framing available in the pages when viewed with FireFox is not possible in IE: but this new fix should assure that the page have their own coherent look in that browser.)

INXC, Matthew

#16 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

I find every thing right for me I feel the right and the lift graphic and the pages display properly.

I think I use IE

If I am fail in my understanding for what your REV. want forgive me

#17 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

I download the firefox and can see the stationary graphical framing which is not stationary in IE

#18 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

Forum members, especially Matthew who is re-configuring the Monachos web site

I'm only testing for color, Font and Size.

HOPE it works!

marie_duquette

#19 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

2 brackets after my name in the previous post?
marie_duquette

p.s. I'm just learning how to use the formatting.

#20 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

I think my be you press on any key of color or fonts or size without intent and the order not completed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users