39 replies to this topic

#21 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:14 AM

if you REV. please some threads in the link catalogs not active i.e when I click on it I read
{Not Found
The requested URL /mystic/Christian/Cyril/index.html was not found on this serve}

e.g Cyril of Alexandria,
John Klimakos (John of the Ladder)
Philokalia - Selections

#22 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

Dr. Steenberg.

I have checked the test web site (I use MS IE ver 6.0.2800 SP1) and I have found that the links:

• About the Feast of the Theophany - Orthodox Church in America website
  • Discourse on the Day of the Baptism of Christ, by St John Chrysostom - OCA website
at the end of the page Texts for the Feast of the Theophany (Epiphany) - 6/19 January are being linked to external web site pages which have been removed.

The link at the and of the page The Nativity of Christ According to the Flesh is also broken due to removal of the external web page.

Another point is that while in all other pages of test web site the font sizes are defined as static and they are not being affected by the text size defined by the web browser, in the page Prayer as the Act From Which All Good Comes the reference numbers of the notes within the text are defined as dynamically sized. So, if the web browser of the client has a definition of the text size as "larger", the text appears like in the attached images, which makes the reference numbers to look disproportionally BIG compared with the text.

Smallest text size defined in web browser (reference numbers are sized according to the text):
[image removed]

Larger text size defined in web browser(reference numbers are sized disproportionally to the text):
[image removed]

On the personalized display settings, the "Times New Roman - Larger Font Style" does not work and it behaves just like the ""Times New Roman" setting, but the "Monachos Default"/"Monachos Default -Larger font style" work as supposed to.

I have found no other problems. Everything else works fine for my IE web browser setup.

Leandros

(Message edited by matthew on 30 August, 2005)

#23 Daniel Jeandet

Daniel Jeandet

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

I like the new design, but why dont I like it when icons are cropped like that?

#24 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:23 AM

Matthew,
On Sunday I spent a lot of time looking into the many resources and links provided. A wealth of material! Thank you.

A few times I tried posting a short message using "COLOR" "FONT" "SIZE" and, after preview my post, if I try to change, correct, add something, then "POST" I receive an ERROR sign. the message does not "POST"

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

Dear Leandros,

Thank you for your recent post with details on display issues with the new design.

(a) I will check into the font size issue on the page 'Prayer as the Source...', which you indicated.

(b) Thank you for notification of broken external links. These will also be corrected in due course.

(c) I am concerned by the background fade behind the 'Search this website...' link at the top of pages, as displayed in your two screen capture images. As those images render, the fade is in large blocks: blue, dark grey, light grey, white. It should be a smooth fade from dark blue to white. Is this simply a side-effect of the screen capture, or does the background actually display like that in your browser? If so, what is your display resolution, etc?

My thanks,
INXC, Matthew

#26 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for the feedback. The images in the side-bars are still rather tentative. In the lower left-hand a portion of a larger icon of Christ creating the fish of the sea; in the upper right-hand a section from an immense icon of the last judgement. However, these may well (and probably will) be changed. Perhaps I will test some non-cropped icons and ask for your (and others') feedback. The main problem is the squares/rectangles (which icons generally are), causing a very choppy look to the page if too frequent (and there is always a miniature page icon in the upper right-hand of every page). Perhaps the end result might rather be simply colour fades in the corners, rather than icons.

Feedback always welcome.

INXC, Matthew

#27 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

To those examining and testing new layout pages:

A very early preview of what the new layout of the Discussion Community message forum might look like is available by visiting a sample topic of the Development Board (a separate message board used solely for testing purposes; entirely distinct from the actual Discussion Community).

Comments on the general look and feel (and not specific functionality) are welcomed, especially by frequent readers and posters to the Discussion Community.

(Please note: only the test topic linked above gives a feel for what is in work. Other sections of the development board are not complete, and some (e.g. the main topics listing) are merely space fillers and bear no resemblance to the intended final product.)

INXC, Matthew

#28 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

with my weak sense I feel it is more better and comfortaple to my eye, and more silent as no need to move the page right and lift.

if you please some times I feel I need the icon to be more obvious but if this not suitable every thing always right and suitable.
it is best for icon to be obvious to the mind eye
in CHRIST

#29 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

Just hope that the new format -- display page -- will not be too wide. This happens sometimes, even in the "old form". I find it difficult to move the page from left to right for reading the texts at times. This I find distracting, losing the trend of thought, and a little frustrating.

I am still wondering about the ERROR message that I receive when I "PREVIEW/POST MESSAGE" finding mistakes or wanting to add "COLOR" or "SIZE" ...

Something about "argument" I guess I don't understand this particular process. Will try again.

thank you for the great effort put into updating the MONACHOS site, that it can be more beneficial for all.

#30 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

Dear Leandros,

I believe the problem with odd font size irregularities surrounding note references in the Prayer as the Act From Which All Good Comes article should now be remedied, and should display properly in whichever display format you configure.

Please let me know if they continue on your machine.

With thanks,
INXC, Matthew

#31 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

Dear Marie-Duquette and Theopesta,

Thank you for the feedback. The issue with forum pages at times displaying too wide, i.e. scrolling off the right-hand side of the browser window, is one of the things that should be corrected in the new layout (again, have a look at a test page here). The new centre-column message display should sort this problem.

In the current ('old') Discussion Community layout, the message display takes place in the main page area, which is a right column. The problem with side-scrolling messages is caused when members post messages that include especially long URLs/hyperlinks: hyperlinks, which register as single words in computer interpretation, are so wide that the column has to be increased in order to accommodate, and thus it expands to the right (since there is no other direction for it to expand, as there is a toolbar on the left) resulting in the need to scroll sideways.

The new layout should accommodate for this by line-breaking long URLs, such that even the longest URL should not force an increased centre-column width and distort the page.

The only situation in which page width distortion will continue (and which really cannot be helped) is if a member posts as part of his/her message a graphical image (e.g. a screen shot, or a large photograph) that is especially wide. As there is no way to line-break an image, this will of course alter the display width of the page. But such situations are extremely infrequent.

INXC, Matthew

#32 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

Dear Marie-Duquette, you wrote:

A few times I tried posting a short message using "COLOR" "FONT" "SIZE" and, after preview my post, if I try to change, correct, add something, then "POST" I receive an ERROR sign. the message does not "POST"

It sounds as if you may not have put proper slashes and opening/closing curly-braces around the tags. For a step-by-step introduction to using formatting tags, read the formatting tags tutorial.

Remember: if you are using the formatting toolbar to insert tags, you still need to add closing braces at the end of tags.

Do let me know if this is of assistance.

INXC, Matthew

#33 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

© I am concerned by the background fade behind the 'Search this website...' link at the top of pages, as displayed in your two screen capture images. As those images render, the fade is in large blocks: blue, dark grey, light grey, white. It should be a smooth fade from dark blue to white. Is this simply a side-effect of the screen capture, or does the background actually display like that in your browser? If so, what is your display resolution, etc?

Dr. Steenberg,

The bar colour effect is due to image colour reduction that I manually produced in the saved images in order not to post big size real colour images.

The actual presentation of the bar on my screen is fading smoothly.

Leandros

#34 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

To those examining and testing new layout pages:

A very early preview of what the new layout of the Discussion Community message forum might look like is available by visiting a sample topic of the Development Board (a separate message board used solely for testing purposes; entirely distinct from the actual Discussion Community).

Comments on the general look and feel (and not specific functionality) are welcomed, especially by frequent readers and posters to the Discussion Community.

Dr. Steenberg,

I find that the old style forum member name linkage to member's profile is more suitable than the new one that is linking to member's email address.

I believe the problem with odd font size irregularities surrounding note references in the Prayer as the Act From Which All Good Comes article should now be remedied, and should display properly in whichever display format you configure.

Please let me know if they continue on your machine.

OK. Now the reference notes are the same size as the text.

Leandros

#35 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

I am gratful at any thing as it is not easy to find all this number of blessed kind,experianced and knowledagble, in one forum in addition to the deep searches of the webmaster,
I feel it is important to find easy the profil of other to know with whom we speak to give the suitable reverence.

the words and the way of speaking with the elders surely not as the same age specially in between mans and womens, I don't know are my mind correct or not?

finally I am gratful many thanks

#36 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:40 PM

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your responses to my questions and observation.

I still have problems accessing the "FRONT PAGE" and the whole web site from my "favorite places" Can only access from my e-mail address.

I wrote a lenghty observation in Announcements etc.

In my opinion, I still like the Old Format better; that is accessing Monachos from my "favorite places" on my server, which is different from my e-mail address.

respectfully,

marie_duquette

#37 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Dear friends,

As many of you have already noticed, we are engaging in a large-scale test of the new layout for document pages across Monachos.net. Previously accessible only in the Liturgics area, the new layout has this weekend been applied to the whole of the web site, save for a few sections (the Discussion Community included in those exceptions). Please do report any problems or more general reactions here.

It is likely that the site will revert back to its former layout after this testing period, before the final switch over to the new design takes place later this Autumn.

INXC, Matthew

#38 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

Dear friends,

As any who have accessed the Monachos.net Discussion Community forum since this evening will be aware, we are now testing the implementation of the new layout for the message board. Do feel free to explore the new layout and design, including some new features enabled in the system and refinements of the old. Comments can be left in this thread, including any display problems, thoughts, etc.

Please note that certain aspects of the new layout are still in the process of being 'tweaked' -- including, most notably to many, the layout of posts as delivered by e-mail. These will continue to be refined over the coming days and weeks.

My many thanks to Thomas Farr and Kate White for assistance in the work on this redesign.

INXC, Matthew

#39 Trudy

Trudy

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:49 AM

Dear Matthew,

When entering the Monachos.net site, I thought perhaps I had landed in the wrong place! But WOW! It is very nice! I like the easy color on the eyes. The print is a good size. I like the images on the corners.

Thank you to you and your team for all the hard work and time this has taken to improve an already wonderful site.

Sincerely, Athanasia

#40 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

Dear Athanasia,

Thank you for the kind remarks about the new layout - I'm glad to hear it meets with a longstanding member's approval. Posted Image I'll make sure to pass along your comments to the others.

INXC, Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users