#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

Dear all,

As part of the server upgrade taking place this weekend (from 2nd - 4th September, 2005), parts of the Monachos.net Discussion Community message boards may be temporarily inaccesable or otherwise unavailable.

Please be aware of this! All such interruptions to normal functionality should cease by Monday morning.

INXC, Matthew

#2 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:41 PM

Update on service upgrade, weekend of 2nd - 4th September, 2005:

As many of you will have noted, there have been temporary periods of inaccessibility to the Discussion Community message boards over the weekend, while we upgrade the servers that host the whole of Monachos.net. These interruptions should be largely complete at this stage, and you will notice that the message board is again accessible and functional.

Please note that for the time being, the Discussion Community pages are linked under a separate host: i.e., when you click on 'Discussion Community' or another link from the main web site to arrive at the forum, you will see in your browser's address bar that the message board itself is not hosted on the main www.monachos.net server, but on a separate server with a numerical IP address (65.108.231.116).

This is a temporary situation and the message board will soon be back on the main server. Please do not change your bookmarks in the meantime.

INXC, Matthew

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:54 AM

Further update on server upgrade.

Dear all: please note that the server upgrade for the message forum is now complete. All forum pages should now be accessible under the proper www.monachos.net domain, and not under the temporary IP domain (65.108.231.116) in use over the past two days.

INXC, Matthew

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

Dear Matthew,
I'm wondering if there are still some glitches with the upgrade to Monachos.
Hitting the ' key still puts some sort of new search bar at the bottom of the page which then frequently jumps as if searching for a word in the whole page above.
Also in the God & Time section the link to Jump to this Page is not working properly.
Sorry!
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#5 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:36 PM

Dear Fr Raphael (and others),

Yes - there may still be a few glitches here and there; but most should by now be sorted.

In response to your specific queries:

(a) The 'jump to page' links on e-mail sent out while the Discussion community was running on an alternate server (over the weekend) will try to 'jump' you to pages on that alternate server; however, since we've since moved the Discussion Community back onto the main server (at base address www.monachos.net), those old pages no longer exist, and you'll simply be re-directed to the main forum page. This is only an issue for e-mail versions of posts sent out over the weekend, up through Monday morning, 5th December 2005. (You'll know if the 'jump to' link you're clicking is on the old system, because the base of the URL/address will be '65.108.231.116' rather than 'www.monachos.net'). All current and future e-mail versions of posts should have 'jump to' links to the proper addresses.

(b) Regarding the search bar appearing at the bottom of the window when you press the ' key: this is actually nothing to do with Monachos.net, and is not in fact an 'issue' but a feature of the Firefox browser, which you must be using. Firefox has a feature that enables searching of text on pages to be live: just begin typing and the search box appears at the bottom of the browser window, as well as the page jumping to the first instance of the text you've typed, which will be highlighted. This is a nice feature if you often do word searches on pages. If however you find it annoying (perhaps because you inadvertently hit keys that initiate the search/jump), you can turn it off by clicking 'Options' from the 'Tools' menu, selecting the 'Advanced' tab of the options window that appears, and un-ticking the box next to 'Find as you type' in the 'Accessibility' section.

INXC, Mattthew

#6 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

Dear Matthew,

You have done amarvelous work with the up-grade! But, I do wonder about it. . .

1. It seems that the FRONT PAGE is now "missing"

2. I can't access Monachos from my "favorite places" anymore; only from "topics"

3. I miss the daily "word from the Fathers", since the FRONT PAGE is missing.

4. I guess at this point I did prefer the "Old format" where I could more easily access the "topics" as well as the message boards and links.

5. My e-mail versions come in fine! But no FRONT PAGE . . . only possibility of accessing "topics"

6. The problem may stem from the fact that my server is different from my e-mail address. should I change my e-mail address in order to obtain what is called "cookies"

7. When I try to access Monachos.net from my favorite places, I still have that "YELLOW BOX" which states that the weekend will be closed down for the updates. I did wait the seconds that it stated to wait. ... But, nothing happened.

respectifully in Christ Jesus and the Theotokos

marie_duquette}

#7 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:05 PM

Dear Marie Duquette,

Thank you for your message, though I must say I am puzzled by its contents (see below). If any others are experiencing similar difficulties, please do let me know.

In response to your specific comments:

a) I do not know why you mean by 'the front page is missing'. What front page are you referring to? The front page of the Monachos web site is at www.monachos.net, and displays fine on my machine. The front page for the Discussion Community form is at this location, and again is both present and displaying/working properly on my computer.

b) I am similarly perplexed about your comment that you 'can't access Monachos from my "favorite places" anymore; only from "topics"'. The Monachos.net website is available at www.monachos.net and should be accessible by any favourites/bookmarks you have had previously. The 'Topics' page is the main interface of the Discussion Community (here), and should have nothing to do with your bookmarks.

c) The Word from the Fathers page is still available at its usual URL, and is still linked from the front page of the web site.

In general, I am not certain about the details you mention! The server upgrade that took place over the weekend was simply an upgrade of the equipment that runs the web site; it did not involve a change of any of the content on the site -- everything is still in the same place, with the same links and addresses. The only exception to this would be if you have bookmarks to specific posts in the Discussion Community, which may not (but should) continue to point correctly after the upgrade. But apart from that, all else is precisely as before, including the location of the front page, Word from the Fathers and other pages, as well as the design of everything - forum included. (The upgrade to the layout/design will come later.) I wonder if you might try looking again at the system. Do let me know by e-mail if you still have difficulties, as I think these might be issues peculiar to your set up and not to the web site (though others can perhaps let us know if they are encountering anything similar).

INXC, Matthew

#8 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

Dear Matthew,

thank you for responding to my "many" questions concerning the Monachos web site.

I just looked again at my "favorite places" and all seems to be now accessibly from there. so, I guess that I don't need to change my e-mail address. My server must have needed to go through some kind of technological thing. But, as far as I can NOW see, all is okay and accessibly.

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

marie_duquette

#9 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

Matthew,

By FRONT PAGE, I meant the web site's FRONT PAGE with the Icon and all the other accessible blue line. That has returned "beautifully" as always. With also the "Word from the Fathers".

Now the "yellow box" has been changed to a "white box" In case there are other glitches, I suppose.

thank you for your continued concern for the well-running of this "up-lifting" web-site. I, personally find it very instructional, especially with with well-prepared articles and links. I love reading and studying these each day.
Thank you. And may you always be blessed, as well as all persons who benefit from the wealth of Orthodoxy on the Monachos.net web site.

May the "new Liturgical year" be blessed for all of us!

marie_duquette

p.s. If I experience other glitches, I'll let you know.

#10 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Matthew for the info about the Monachos update and also letting me know that what I am experiencing is a Firefox feature and not a glitch.
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#11 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:14 AM

Matthew,

I am perplexed about the TOPIC "casual and Personal Conversations".

I can't access the newest posts -- that is, those since August 28th.

Just don't know what to make of it? I see that the last poster on September 9th was Leandros. When I click to enter this TOPIC, all I find are the post up to August 28th. I've tried opening a "new" thread called "WHAT IS HAPPENING . . .? and it hasn't posted there, so I am alerting you to this problem from the link in the "white box" at the upper right hand corner of the web site's Front Page.

Don't know if this is a problem only for me, from my computer; or if others are experiencing the same problem.

Thank you, Matthew and may the Lord God bless you always,

marie_duquette

#12 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:51 AM

I tried going through the Casual & Personal Conversations & everything seems to being working fine.
In Christ--Fr Raphael

#13 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:14 AM

I tried going through...& everything seems to being working fine.

Except my grammar which doesn't seem to be working so fine!

#14 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:09 AM

Dear Marie-Duquette,

Thank you for your message. As with Fr Raphael, the Casual and Personal Conversation topic area seems to be working fine as I meander through it this morning. I wonder, based on this and other queries in the past, if you might not have a cache issue effecting your interaction with the forum: i.e., either your browser or a cache at your internet service provider, that is causing you to see slightly out-of-date pages at times.

One note to keep in mind: the main topics area listing of the community (as found here) indicates the last person to have posted in any thread in that topic, as well as the date/time of that posting - these details being updated on the main listing whenever a post is made. The listing is thus accurate at all times, <u>unless</u> the moderator has recently moved a thread from one topic area to another (as was the case yesterday, for example, when I moved the thread on St Peter from the Casual Discussion to the Ecclesiology topic area).

The best way to find new messages is to click the 'Check New Messages' link on the left-hand side of the page, which will call up a listing of all messages posted since you last clicked that link.

INXC, Matthew

#15 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

Matthew,
I thank you for looking into the problem that I am experiencing with the TOPIC "Casual and Personal Conversations"

I've checked everything out. And, still I have no access to this particular area, neither from the TREE VIEW, nor the TOPIC itself, nor from the blue "here" that you have indicated in your post #750. All I get there is a BLANK page!

So, my perplexity is now more acute. I feel that I am banned from this TOPIC, since August 28th.

I do hope to go into this further at some point. Right now, I must go, for I am being PRESENT at the Orthodox Information Booth at the Greek Festival in Oaklawn,RI.

Have a blessed day! with many thanks for the very informative Forum that is produced at MONACHOS.NET

Forgive me a sinner. Pray for me as I do for all!

marie_duquette

#16 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

I seem to be experiencing similar problems to Marie-Duquette. (My browser is Netscape 7.00.)

#17 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

Indeed the "here" link as it is being posted in message 750 is not working from MS Internet Explorer.

You can follow the main forum link: http://www.monachos....n/mb/discus.cgi

and the "Casual and Personal Conversations" should be found in the following link: http://www.monachos..../6555/6555.html

The above links work for me with Internet Explorer browser.

#18 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

Dr Steenberg,

It seems to be a minor problem when I access Monachos.net web site.

I use MS Internet Explorer ver 6.0.28 and every time I access the main web page www.monachos.net I get the attached error message and afterwards as I enter in the inner web pages I do not experience any further problems.

#19 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

Dear Leandros,

Thank you very much for the report. I've corrected the scripting issue, so that error message on the web site's main page (www.monachos.net) should no longer appear.

As to the matter with the Casual and Personal Discussion area: I still cannot recreate this issue. The area is accessible without problem from the main forum topics listing, as well as through direct links, and messages posted there seem to be getting through fine.

INXC, Matthew

#20 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:27 AM

Dear Matthew,
Please forgive me for being so persistent in trying to clarify the problem that I am having concerning the TOPIC: Casual and Personal conversations.

I've tried accessing this area of the Forum through the links that Leandros presented in his post #252 above. Neither of them work for me to enter into the "casual and personal conversations area.

Again I've tried to access through the TREE VIEW and through the "NEW MESSAGES" links. Neither of these show the topic: Casual and personal conversations. Only all the other discussions topic.

I surely didn't want to take personally the fact that I cannot access this topic. Forgive me for stating that I felt banned from this topic.

There surely must be some explanation. Which at present, I do not know! i am just hoping that this will be clarified for me.

marie_duquette

p.s. Do you think that I should register anew?
Thank you for your patience with me at this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users