Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:31 AM

Dear Matthew,
Please forgive me for being so persistent in trying to clarify the problem that I am having concerning the TOPIC: Casual and Personal conversations.

I've tried accessing this area of the Forum through the links that Leandros presented in his post #252 above. Neither of them work for me to enter into the "casual and personal conversations area.

Again I've tried to access through the TREE and through the "NEW MESSAGES" links. Neither of these show the topic: Casual and personal conversations. Only all the other discussions topic.

I surely didn't want to take personally the fact that I cannot access this topic. Forgive me for stating that I felt banned from this topic.

there surely must be some explanation. Which at present, I do not know!

marie_duquette

p.s. Do you think that I should register anew?
Thank you for your patience with me at this time.

#22 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:59 AM

Dear Marie-duquette,
Matthew is away for a little over a week so he will not be able to respond to your question.
I wish I knew something that could be of help to sort out your problem but I am really a techno-barbarian when it comes to these things.
One thing though- a few days ago while Monachos was being upgraded I noticed that my cookies seemed to be deleted and I had to re-register my password anew. This happened for about three days running and then suddenly stopped when Monachos seemed to 'remember' me again. Could this be the problem?
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#23 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Dear Father Raphael,
Praised be to God for your compassionate post #747.

It seems that I have again been "remembered" as a poster on "Casual and personal conversations"

Yesterday at the Divine Liturgy, how the "Remember me Oh Lord when you enter into your kingdom" ... at the Gospel entrance struck me with the Grace of God. The Beatitudes chanted with piety by our beautiful Choir, brought tears to my heart's eye, as I remembered that these are not only the Foundation Stone of Our Faith, but also the fulfillment of it in Christ Jesus in the Blessednes promised!

And, Jesus invites in the Gospel, "Learn of me ... for I am meek and gentle (humble) of heart."

Surely, God had not forgotten me, even though little technological glitches on Monachos.net did for a while.

Thank you; and may you be "blessed"

marie_duquette

#24 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

Important announcement regarding message sorting and moving on Saturday, 8th October 2005:

VERY IMPORTANT: The following message relates information that will effect your e-mail notification delivery as well as your ability to reply by e-mail. Please read it carefully.

Dear all,

Today I have spent some time organising the message structure of the Community, in order to make materials easier to find (quite a task with some 20,000 messages on-line), and improve the organisation of various areas. Some time ago we moved the 'Doctrine and Theology' area over to a layered design -- i.e. it contains sub-areas dedicated to specific themes -- and this is now being expanded to other topics.

Readers will see that similar 'layering' has now been applied to the 'Ascesis' and 'In depth' areas, organising the rather vast amounts of materials in these areas into much more sensible groupings. In addition, the 'Ecclesiology and Monasticism' area has been split apart into the new 'Monasticism' area and the new 'Ecclesiology and the Church' area. The Monasticism area has been layered and organised; though I've not yet managed to sort and layer the ecclesiology/church area. The organisation of this area, as well as the 'Casual and Personal Conversation' area, will follow soon.

* How these changes effect your e-mail delivery settings: If you have your account configured to deliver messages by e-mail, you will need edit your e-mail notification settings in your User Profile to ensure that the new 'Monasticism' topic area is ticked for e-mail delivery. If you do not do this, you will not receive e-mail versions of posts made in this new area -- even if those posts are continuations of previous threads you did receive, since they were formerly located in a different area.

* How these changes effect your ability to reply by e-mail: Since very many messages and threads have moved in today's maintenance, if you attempt to reply by e-mail to posts made before these changes, the system may not know where to find the new threads, and your e-mailed replies may not be posted. In order to ensure that your replies are posted to the forum, please used the web interface at www.monachos.net/mb to make your posts. Please note that all messages posted and received by e-mail subsequent to this reorganisation (i.e. subsequent to my posting of this notification message) will be posted in their new locations, and you can use reply by e-mail as before. The possibility of e-mailed replies being lost only applies to responses sent to messages posted prior to today's maintenance.

Please take some time to peruse the new organisation and get a feel for how things are organised and layered in the various topic areas. While there will be a slight adaptation curve needed for members familiar with where things were before, I feel that this new organisation will make keeping themes and topics together all the easier.

As ever, if you have trouble finding a thread, discussion or specific post, you can use the forum's search engine to search the entire community.

INXC, Matthew

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

Important announcement: Updated Discussion Community Terms of Use

The Terms of Use for the Monachos.net Discussion Community have been updated, with the new version in place from today (31st December 2005, civil calendar). Please take a moment to read through the new Terms of Use Document, which is available from this link, and always from the 'Terms of Use' link on the left-hand side of all Discussion Community pages.

The Terms of Use document contains the Community Outline, which articulates the scope, focus and design of the forum, as well as the thorough terms of use of the forum.

Monachos.net

#26 Guest_Monachos.net

Guest_Monachos.net
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

Important announcement: Secure access details for Monachos Discussion Community.

When you use your web browser to access the Monachos.net Discussion Community, you may be asked to enter a username and password to access the secure forum area.

The username for access is 'user', and the password is 'monachos'.

Please note these are not the same as your username and password on the Discussion Community system, to which you will still log in as usual with your customary details. These are the entry details to the secure area in which the whole of the forum temporarily is functioning.

Why? The forum has recently been the target of some 'spambot' server attacks that have, wholly behind the scenes (i.e. in know visible way to readers), been overloading our server and causing crashes. A new release of the software that powers the forum is due within the next fortnight, but until then we will be running the Discussion Community from a secure directory that requires a username and password for access.

Full details, explanations and common Q&A are found at the following page on the main Monachos web site: Secure access to the Discussion Community

INXC,
M.C. Steenberg

#27 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

Dear all,

Just a note that in today's flurry of activity (nearly 80 posts in the past 24 hours), we surpassed 25,000 posts in the Discussion Community. Congratulations to all on a fairly inconsequential, yet nonetheless encouraging, milestone.

What's doubly encouraging is that the better portion of these 25,000+ messages are solid, helpful, thoughtful notes worth their place in the archives.

INXC, Matthew

#28 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

Dear Matthew,

What a flurry these last few days - and I see we are up to 945 members.

I know your modesty will shy away from thanks and congratulations - but credit where it is due - thank you for all you put into this site, which brings so much about Orthodoxy to so many - and my thanks to your fellow moderators.:)

In Christ,

John

#29 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

Dear Matthew,

One friend has pointed out to me that, perhaps as part of our Lenten discipline, the site has slimmed down in terms of our individual posts.

If so, I sure hope that the ones of mine that have gone into the great oubliette of lost Internet posts are the ones I'd most like to see the back of - although I suppose, in the Lenten mood, it ought to be the other way around.

Or can someone simply not count?

INXC

John

#30 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Dear John, all the posts are still there; the system just no longer counts posts in the 'casual / personal' area in individual's post counts -- just posts in the main topic areas. Nothing has been deleted.

INXC, Matthew

#31 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

Dear Matthew,

Many thanks for the explanation.

INXC

John

#32 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

Dear Matthew,

Most unnerving to be told be the computer that it doesn't recognise Monachos; mine ought to be able to find its way there without guidance!

Many thanks to you, and whoever else ought to be thanked, for resolving this problem; record time, I think,

Mind you, if it had gone off line on Bright Saturday ... !;)

With thanks,

John

#33 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

Yes, Matthew, thank you very much for all of your hard work here. I can not imagine how much effort it must take to keep things running smoothly on all fronts.

And, as John has said:

Most unnerving to be told be the computer that it doesn't recognise Monachos; mine ought to be able to find its way there without guidance!

I can relate to this, but in a different way. Becuase, my computer simply refuses to sign off of monachos most of the time when she is plugged in. Yesterday, was actually a rough period of withdrawl for her, but she is fine now. I am thinking that I might have to do an intervention of sorts with her though at some point. :rolleyes:

Rick

#34 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

SYSTEM GLITCH RESOLVED: In an apparent technological fault designed to promote churchgoing, the system was off-line for part of Pascha and Bright Monday. This issue has since been resolved.

Yes, but WHICH issue has been resolved? :)

In the Risen Christ- Fr Raphael

#35 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

Yes please!

I want to be prepared in case of an onslaught of new faithful this Sunday.:eek: :)

In the Risen Christ,
Father Anthony+

#36 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

SYSTEM GLITCH RESOLVED: In an apparent technological fault designed to promote churchgoing, the system was off-line for part of Pascha and Bright Monday. This issue has since been resolved.

This made me laugh! If only solutions to church attendance were as simple as fixing a server bug!

INXC, Matthew

#37 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

This made me laugh! If only solutions to church attendance were as simple as fixing a server bug!

INXC, Matthew

Its kind of like the Wizard of Oz approach to church life. Just pull the appropriate lever and everyone does 'what's expected.'

No, no- I think I'll just keep with the unpredictable 'system' we have now!

Freedom may be more painful for us. But at least it leads more surely to salvation.

#38 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Dear Mr. Steenberg,

Christ is Risen!

Thank you for up-dating the terms of use and community outline.

I have tried to read the documents posted today, May, 11th and, I do find it difficult to read the size of the print., since I do have a visual impairment, and have difficulty with small print.

Previously the forum had a "LARGER PRINT" option. At this point, I do miss it.

I am sending this post in larger print; and, I do wonder if this will enable me to read the Message Board in LARGER PRINT; or, if this feature will be again provided on the Monachos.net Discussion Community.

Thank you,

marie_duquette

#39 Mina Soliman

Mina Soliman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

"Mark messages read" seem to not exist anymore. What happened?

#40 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:16 AM

"Mark messages read" seem to not exist anymore. What happened?

Dear Mina,

You'll need to be a touch more precise! The 'Mark Forums Read' link still exists at its same location on the front page of the Community; and it remains also available in the 'Quick Links' drop-down menu at the top of all pages.

Which instance of it are you referring to?

INXC, Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users