29 replies to this topic

#21 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Many thanks for these initial responses by Fr Raphael and Herman (others gratefully received - please do post your responses).

I wonder if the idea of a 'daily/weekly digest' would be popular. This would be a single e-mail sent out daily or weekly, containing brief summary data of new posts to areas/threads to which you have signed up, with links back to the forum to those posts in context. Would this be something you think would benefit?

INXC, Matthew

#22 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

I wonder if the idea of a 'daily/weekly digest' would be popular. This would be a single e-mail sent out daily or weekly, containing brief summary data of new posts to areas/threads to which you have signed up, with links back to the forum to those posts in context. Would this be something you think would benefit?

I have all the posts come through my email in any case and look at as many as I am able. So I'm not sure if the above would be of help or not.

Perhaps for the whole community we could give it a try and find out in that way how useful it would be.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#23 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

Matthew,

Like many other groups that I participate in, I read and reply mostly online. Once in a while I will send in a post by regular email but more often than not I will post online. Even in those groups, many times I will elect to receive a daily digest so that if there is something I want to go back to, I have it.

Another feature I have seen that I particularly like is the ability to forward a specific post via email to one-self so that if there is something special that I want to save, I have it in that manner.

Fr David Moser

#24 Guest_Boulos

Guest_Boulos
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

i always like receiving post and replies abt a particular theme by email, but i never use/reply as email too for the same reasons mentionned by Herman. This feature in very essential and could often serve as a notice help for me.

#25 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't use the "digest" feature, but I can see its utility for those who would.

For Fr David, if you go to "Edit your profile" and scroll down to "Additional Email Notification Settings", you can check "My own posts" which I assume will then forward anything you post to yourself.

#26 Guest_Dewi Poole

Guest_Dewi Poole
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

I receive post by e mail and use this for reading the large number that arrive daily. If I do reply it is usually by going to the Monachos web site.

#27 Alec Lowly

Alec Lowly

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:11 AM

Herman Blaydoe wrote:

"I like receiving posts on topics of special interest by email, but I never post by email. I prefer to post at the site, it provides more options for posting and I don't have to worry so much about formatting problems that so many email programs cause."

I'm with Herman all the way on this. But yes, I think the option of receiving a daily digest would be welcome.

#28 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Dear all,

It sounds from these initial responses (plus several that have come through by PM and e-mail) that there are in fact few people who use the reply-by-email feature to post by e-mail; most seem to jump to the forum to post on-line (which I agree is the best route most of the time, since there is the ability to preview posts, use the spell-checker, etc.).

I'm considering the possibility of a format that sends out the e-mail notifications daily/weekly in 'digests', rather than as single e-mails for each new post, as possibly a more convenient way of receiving notification of new posts, especially when there are several.

Further thoughts most welcome.

INXC, Matthew

#29 Guest_Aleksandar Zatezalo

Guest_Aleksandar Zatezalo
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

"I like receiving posts on topics of special interest by email, but I never post by email. I prefer to post at the site, it provides more options for posting and I don't have to worry so much about formatting problems."

I am also an e-mail-receive forum-post member.

I tried to reply by e-mail two or three times, but it looked very strange with many numbers in my text (20). I have reread instruction for mail communication, I have even asked for help. - But I have not been able to reply correctly by mail since.

As for the option of receiving a daily digest:
I am using a possibility of outlook express to group messages by conversation. When I don't have enough time to daily read all the messages, I still manage to track the discussion. It is very practical to read e-mails in this way.
With one daily digest mail it is very difficult to read specific topic, without reading all day messages.

Best way is to leave option to forum members either for every answer in a single mail or one daily digest mail.

#30 Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

I also receive everything by email, but if I post I do it from the site. Some kind of digest, especially if it included summary information of posts on different topics would be great as it would slim down my inbox and enable me just to look at the bits I find interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users