#22 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:18 AM

Dear Andrew and others,

Ah, the good jabs over the spell-checker return! Just when I finally weeded out all the anti-Canadian spelling preferences for Fr Raphael...

I would appreciate it if people could list in posts in this thread terms which they've noticed the spell-checker flagging as incorrect, but which are nonetheless correct (i.e. primarily Orthodox terminology). When a listing is gathered, I'll add the terms to the spell-checker's engine.

INXC, Matthew

#23 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:15 PM

Dear Matthew,
Fr. Raphael thanks you.
Emoticon: Canadian version Posted Image smiley face with toque on

#24 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

PS: The spell-checker didn't recognise the word: toque.
Toque: From French-Canadian. A warm woven hat as thick & heavy as a pillow worn on the head.

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:50 AM

Dear friends,

As some people have requested a more 'plain-English' introduction to formatting messages than that currently offered in our complete formatting reference, we've done up a new Beginner's Guide to Message Formatting for this discussion community, which gives basic information on how to format your posts with boldface, italics, links, quotation blocks, etc.

You can access the new guide by the link above, or at any time through the Tutorial Area found in the 'Tutorial' link on the left-hand side of the screen under 'Options'.

INXC, Matthew

#26 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

Dear users of the Monachos.net Discussion Community,

We are testing, from today, a new CSS-based formatting scheme for the 'quote' tag that allows for insertion of quotations in your posts (see the forum tutorial for more information on formatting in general). The purpose is to give quoted text a more visually pleasing layout on the page.

The old scheme displayed formatted text as follows:

This is a quotation using the old formatting scheme for the 'quote' tag.

Whereas the new scheme displays quoted text as follows:

This is a quotation using the new formatting scheme for the 'quote' tag.

This is a server-side change, which means that it does not effect the way in which you use the tag -- use the 'quote' tag exactly as you always have; the system will simply format it according to the new design.

Your comments and feedback are welcome in this thread or via an e-mail to the webmaster, especially if you encounter any problems with the new formatting.

INXC, Matthew

#27 Guest_Jennifer Thompson

Guest_Jennifer Thompson
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:23 AM

Dear Dr. Steenberg,

My suggestion is in regard to the website in general, rather than the message boards specifically. I have noticed that the icon on the home page for Monachos changes from time to time. I always think that the icons that come up are beautiful and very interesting. I think it would be great if, along with the icon, there were some link to find out more information about the icon. Those of us who are new to Orthodoxy sometimes don't even know the names of icons in order to be able to find out about them for ourselves. For instance, I think that the icon that is currently displayed belonged to Saint Seraphim of Sarov at one time, but I am not certain and do not know the name of either the icon that Saint Seraphim had or of the one being displayed.

In Christ,
Jennifer Posted Image

#28 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:15 PM

Re: Information on Monachos front page icons.

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for suggesting this -- it seems like a good idea. There are eleven primary icons, all of the Mother of God, that form the usual rotation on the Monachos.net front page (the only occasions on which the front icon is not of the Mother of God is when it is an icon of a major feast). I'll post thumb-nail size versions of each of these just below in this message (likely only visible by viewing this message on via the Discussion Community's web interface; probably not visible in e-mail versions of this post). I've provided after each the only details on the icons I currently have on file.

Others undoubtedly can provide much more information. We can happily make this a 'Discussion Community Project'. Anyone willing to write up a short (or long) text on the history, significance, etc. of one or another of the icons - please e-mail the webmaster with your text, and I'll see that it gets put on-line.

INXC, Matthew

#29 Guest_Jennifer Thompson

Guest_Jennifer Thompson
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

Dear Matthew,

I looked up the Kursk Root Icon on the internet and found some nice links to information about it. The first link gives a history of the icon that is repeated on several other webpages. The second link gives the same history and some accounts of miracles that are associated with the icon.
http://www.holycross.../kursk_icon.htm
http://www.fatherale...con_kursk_e.htm

I hope these are helpful. Since I don't have any knowledge of these icons of my own, the best I can do is see what other people know.
In Christ,
Jennifer

#30 Guest_Jennifer Thompson

Guest_Jennifer Thompson
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:14 AM

Thank you to all who contributed information about the icons on the main page. I very much enjoyed reading about the icon from Nicula Romania of the Mother of God.
God bless you all!
JenniferPosted Image

#31 Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:18 PM

Some key words (for me at least), which the spell checker does not know: Slavonic, Russian, Moscow, English, Russia

#32 Vasilis Kirikos

Vasilis Kirikos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

20,000 people marched in Ankara today protesting the Islamic cartoons. Many carried signs attacking the west, US and Israel. An Armenian Church was attacked in Turkey over the weekend with bullets and shouts of "Allah Akbar!"

#33 Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

...and Kremlin (apparently a post needs at least five words, so here are some more)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users