Education of the youth to understand the Liturgy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Br Paul

Guest_Br Paul
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:00 AM

To My Orthodox Brethren,
I have been asked by my Russian Priest to find a site on the Net where we can obtain information to educate youth in the meaning of the Liturgy in a simplistic way. We have English speaking youth who do not know what is going on during Liturgy or why. So what ever help you can give us, we would appreciate.
I remain your unworthy servant.
Br Paul

#2 Guest_Photini

Guest_Photini
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:57 AM

Hello,

A website that I like is www.OrthodoxFamily.com
You may find something there that could be of some help. It is a site that is still under construction.

In Christ, photini

#3 Demetrios Galanidis

Demetrios Galanidis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 12:29 AM

Br Paul,
Perhaps this site may be useful as well:
Orthodox Online

Demetrios

#4 Guest_Charalambos Andrew Geo

Guest_Charalambos Andrew Geo
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2003 - 05:55 PM

I am not sure if this would apply to the youth in specific but it is still bery important regarding non-verbal launguage of the liturgy, it is important that we know how and why certain things in the liturgy are done in a certain way, i.e why does the preist bless with his hands in a specific way? but not just that, there is a lot more, so even if they or anyone goes somewhere they know not just what is going on but why even if they don't understand the language, and also by following the order of what happens i guess that no matter what language any service is said in one can have a good idea of what prayer is being said, I was advised when i asked about encouraging more people to Love Christ by working with God to put on the unquenchable fire that God wants in all, i was advised to look at the book of Saint Theophan the Recluse in Prayer.
And other approach, I am sorry if i have not helped or strayed from the point

#5 Guest_Gregory Orloff

Guest_Gregory Orloff
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2003 - 03:47 PM

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory forever!

Check out the "breakdown" and explanation of the Divine Liturgy in Volume 2 ("Worship") of Protopresbyter Thomas Hopko's "The Orthodox Faith" series. It's written in a very easy-to-read and down-to-earth style for teenagers and adults. It's also available online for free here:

http://www.oca.org/p...ml#daily-cycles

With prayers and good will,

Gregory Orloff

#6 Guest_Archbishop Constantin

Guest_Archbishop Constantin
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2003 - 07:15 PM

Beloved Brother Paul;

May this communication be for the glory of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ!

Your request reminds me of many such requests we used to receive in the 20th century. Now we have crossed over to the 21st century. If we are still in our nationalistic cokoons, then, perhaps we should "pack it in" and let others take over, or the Lord will do it and it will not be a pleasant sight. The first time He drove the money changers out with a whip. I think that the next time he is going to have a machine gun to chase us, unworthy and evil clergymen, out of his Holy and Immaculate Church, for which he paid with His Own Precious Blood.

Would it not be much easier if you were to celebrate the Liturgy in English instead? At one time I was a Priest of a jurisdiction where, in my Parish, everyone spoke English, but when even one old person walked in, they demanded that I changed languages immediately, to suit that one person (who, by the way did not understand the foreign language, either) and ignore everyone else including the young. Obviously I am no longer with that jurisdiction... Please note that there were many people, who prefered to have the services "in the exotic" language, even though they did not understand a word, because they felt justified by their presence. But since they did not understand a word, they did not undertand their responsibilities. When they heard the words in their language, they understood everything and that made them feel guilty...

We also would like to point out our work of Mission in Latin America. The only language that is heard in our Parishes and Missions is Spanish (if we are in a Spanish speaking country) or Portuguese, Dutch, Creole, but always in the language of the local people. We also have some immigrants, who come to liturgy and the other services and none of them has ever complained...

I think, to start up the language controversy again, would be an utter mistake, a blasphemy and an act of idolatry. I am also an immigrant and my native tongue is not any of the "American tongues", but to hear the Word and understand nothing, makes it become "utterings of stupidity" and quotes of the devil. You may read what St. Paul says about speaking in tongues and the importance of undertanding everything...

Glory to Jesus Christ, our God!

+ Arzobispo Constantino
One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Orthodox Church

#7 Guest_Br Paul

Guest_Br Paul
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:01 PM

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

Archbishop Constantin,

Thank you for your words, but it has nothing to do with my request. It may enlighten someone, but it is off the subject and request.

I am a English speaking Australian who goes to a Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriachate).We have just recieved last July a Young Russian Priest from Moscow, with very limited English. He is trying to learn English and is slowly introducing English into the Liturgy. We do not have a Sunday school as yet. Majority of the people who attend are elderly. We do have a couple of young people, and Father is concerned for the young Altar Server who does not understand what is going on and he gets bored very easily, which is normal for people at that age and when they dont understand what is happening and why?

The Priest has difficulty with his English, so he asked me to see what I could find to assist this young boy. That is the reason for my request on the Net.

So I thank all who have assisted me on my quest.
Br Paul

#8 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:05 PM

Dear Paul,

I wonder if you have looked into the great number of materials produced by the dioceses/jurisdictions in the U.S.A. with regard to educating the youth as to the Liturgy and various other elements of Orthodox life? I believe that the OCA in particular has produced a number of resources in this area that might be of use to you.

INXC, Matthew

#9 Guest_Br Paul

Guest_Br Paul
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2003 - 07:57 PM

Dear Matthew,
Thank you I have found that site of OCA and have found it very good. I hope the information I have found is suitable, I will now leave it up to the Priest to judge. Many thanks for the help.
Br Paul

#10 Guest_AJS

Guest_AJS
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:21 PM

Br Paul,

Slava Isusu Christu!

First, I apologize for responding so VERY late to your request, but I just "discovered" this marvelous site yesterday!

Saint Elias, a parish in the Ukranian Greek Catholic Eparchy of Toronto has an EXCELLENT website for introducing the uninitiated to the mysteries of worship in the Eastern Tradition. The information is presented in easy-to-understand format, profusely illustrated and ideally geared, IMO, toward the mind of today's youth. Their site can be found at...

www.saintelias.com

If you scroll down the left side to "Survival Guide," you'll find an absolute wealth of information! Once there, scroll again down to "New and Cool" and you'll even find a Guide for Altar Servers!

...and, no, I'm not a parishioner there, but I do applaud and appreciate the work these brothers and sisters have done! Perhaps, even at this late juncture, you may still find something of use for yourself, your Russian priest and the young altar boy within this fine website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users