#1 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

The Holy Synod of Greece had reached the following decision: "total ban on the use of weapons and possession in the clergy, hunting is no exception; on the one hand the carrying of weapons do not comply to the priesthood, and on the other to protect the priests from becoming accidentally responsible for murder and deduct from priesthood".

The decision was made after a hunting accident in which a priest was involved. 

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Good thing Crete is under the EP, have a feeling some of those priests of the mountain villages wouldn't be happy with that ruling.

#3 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hunting has always been a popular hobby for millions of Greeks and most Greeks outside the major cities  have hunting rifles.  I don't understand this ruling.  Instead of the Archbishop taking a stand on so many disgraceful things that are happening to us, why was this such an important issue?

I can't help thinking of how different things would be if Archbishop Christodoulos were alive.

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hunting has always been a popular hobby for millions of Greeks and most Greeks outside the major cities  have hunting rifles.  I don't understand this ruling.  Instead of the Archbishop taking a stand on so many disgraceful things that are happening to us, why was this such an important issue?

I can't help thinking of how different things would be if Archbishop Christodoulos were alive.

My dear Effie, the ban is only for clergy, not for laymen. :)

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

"the ban is only for clergy"

And quite right, too.  How an Orthodox priest can hear psalm 103 and then go out and blast away at the creatures God made is quite beyond me.  Utter barbarism.

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'm no priest, but Bambi never tasted so good as when its seasoned over night in red wine and thrown on a slow smoker for 18 hours. Barbarism is turning all that good meat into sausage. Or letting it go to waste on the roadside just cuz the "law" says you can't keep what your car hits.

Paul

#7 Rdr Thomas

Rdr Thomas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

Does anyone have a link to this?

#8 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

My dear Effie, the ban is only for clergy, not for laymen. :)

At the moment, Olga.   Already there have been rumours that the national guard  here in North Greece will be asked to hand in their weapons.

In Thrace the national guard  (ethnikofroura)  have been ordered to declare all the weapons they have in their homes, including hunting rifles.

The Greek people have been pushed to their limit by the unfair measures that have been taken for something that they were not to blame for.   Only one politician has been charged and the others are busy "saving" Greece.  Our taxes have gone up 138%, our pensions and wages have reached new lows. people below the official poverty line are being taxed, we have 9 new property taxes, etc. etc. etc.    Even the unemployed, who number over 2 million are being taxed if they own a house (and what Greek doesn't) probably inherited from their parents.   There is not much more that they can do to us.

Doesn't taking away our guns seem like something that these people would do?    We all know the kind of person the current Archbishop is.  We are, therefore, not surprised that the clergy have been ordered to give up their hunting rifles.  And they will obey because they are public servants and don't want to lose their jobs.

Paisos foretold that this would happen.  I still can't believe how accurate his predictions of over 20 years ago are..

I wrote a long post about the economic situation here but I deleted most of it because I am tired of the subject and am trying to see God in what is happening.     We are living a nightmare and to add insult to injury most of the world think that we deserve it.

Glory be to God.  We will survive as we have many times in the past.

#9 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

the ban is only for clergy"

And quite right, too. How an Orthodox priest can hear psalm 103 and then go out and blast away at the creatures God made is quite beyond me. Utter barbarism.

Are animal farmers barbarians? How is eating the "creatures God made" that have been killed by someone else less barbaric than simply killing and preparing your food yourself? You are still party to the process, just at the less messy part.

Herman the unapologetic Barbarian: "Bar! bar!"
Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

#10 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I was referring to clergy - sorry if that wasn't clear.

#11 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Are animal farmers barbarians? How is eating the "creatures God made" that have been killed by someone else less barbaric than simply killing and preparing your food yourself? You are still party to the process, just at the less messy part.

Herman the unapologetic Barbarian: "Bar! bar!"
Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Perhaps the barbarism Andreas is thinking about is one of killing for sport vs. killing for survival? I am not he, so I don't know.

I think that we all cringe thinking of a beautiful, innocent deer being killed, but many of us wouldn't bat an eye (at least I wouldn't!) if a predatory creature such as an alligator were killed.

#12 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I was referring to clergy - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Clear as a cloudless sky, but I still don't quite understand how specifically a priest hunting is considered barbaric? This is particularly puzzling when one considers that the priests of ancient Israel offered the animal sacrifice in the Temple. Of course, I certainly can see some theological reasoning for priests not hunting now that the Eucharistic sacrifice offered by the priest is "bloodless"--that the hands that make the offering not be "blood-stained". However, I am not really equipped intellectually to offer that reasoning. But that still does not qualify for the "barbarism" moniker as far as I can tell.

#13 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Uncharacteristically and surprisingly limited thinking, Herman.  What ancient Jewish priests did is hardly to the point.  Thinking (not to mention theology and spiritually) has moved on since then.  Alice has it: there is clearly an element of "sport" involved in hunting.  I am not saying Orthodox priests must not eat meat (though it were better that they didn't) but the idea of a priest going out with a gun to chase and kill animals - very probably causing suffering which is greater than that visited upon animals in a properly regulated slaughter house - lacks attraction.  If holy fathers such as St Silouan the Athonite are venerated and held out as exemplars for the life in Christ, what place has hunting in the life of a priest?  It speaks of a lack of sensitivity and respect for God's creation.

#14 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hunting very probably causes a lot less suffering than that associated with many abattoirs. Have you ever read "The Jungle"? I think someone may be making specious assumptions here. I am going out on a limb here and assume you have never been hunting. A clean "kill" is the same in the field or in the abattoir.

Do some people enjoy hunting? Most certainly. Do some people enjoy eating? I suspect so. Is "enjoyment" a sin? I suppose a priest should never play cricket or darts, those activities also seem to have an element of "sport" associated with them as well, don't you think?

Hey, I have no problem with a bishop making requirements of his priests, no problem whatsoever, and I am sure a case can be made for not allowing priests to hunt. I am not so sure that you have made that case however.

#15 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Very poor points if I my say so , Herman.  It is obvious that enjoyment from such pastimes as you mention are of a different kind since they do not involve the taking of sentient life.  Christians ought to display a more gentle and respectful attitude to animals.  But this ground has been well trodden before.  I made a point - folk can accept it or not.

#16 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Andreas, sorry but I continue to take issue with your use of words. First off I protest your misuse of the word "sentient". I fear you fall victim to the anthropomorphism too prevalent in society today. Secondly I still do not see how providing meat is any less honorable than eating the meat provided.

#17 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

First, 'sentient' is not my term, and is not anthropomorphic: it is the term used by scientists.  Secondly, my point is that if a priest decides to provide meat for his family, he should get it from a responsible source behind which is state regulation of that industry.  I see a mismatch between what ought to be the spiritual character and responsibilities of a priest, and going out and shooting animals and birds.  I see a lack of concord between, for example, venerating St Silouan yet unnecessarily engaging in an activity he would disapprove of.   But as I have said, that is a point I have made and some will agree with it and others will not.

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

What about fishing? The Athonite monks do it routinely.

#19 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Decision's justification :

1) the carrying of weapons do not comply to the priesthood

2) becoming accidentally responsible for murder (of humans)

this has nothing to do with the killing animals

#20 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

What about fishing? The Athonite monks do it routinely.

This has already been discussed elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users