5 replies to this topic

#1 Monk Herman

Monk Herman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

You've heard this a thousand times, but I don't see a discussion of it here. If there already is such a discussion, please direct me.

If not, what kind of responses have you all given to Who created God? And of course there are variations: Who created the Creator? and Who designed the Designer?

Atheists, I find, generally think in clichés and wisecracks. Is there an answer to this question that tends to defuse such stuff?

Father Herman

#2 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

This is not a theological question, it is a philosophical question. By applying simple rules of logic it follows that "the source of all existence" has no creator, or else that creator would be the cause of all existence (unaccepted loop). So, it is a simple philosophical theorem that "the source of all existence has no creator". Then, for every religion that supports that god is the cause of all existence, then this also means that god has no creator.

http://en.wikipedia....ogical_argument

Edited by Lakis Papas, 24 August 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

One must assume that time itself is a creature with structure. God is not only outside of time, but it is an intrinsic element within creation.

#4 IoanC

IoanC

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

The way I approach questions like this is through the fact of God's trasncendent and personal nature. Some ask, "why can't I see God?" You can't see Him because His nature is beyond your own capacity and it is His choice to reveal Himself or not (since He is person). It's a fact, you can't deny it; it is simply the definition of trascendence, or else we are not truly talking about God, but a product of our imagination. So, "who made God?". Of course, He doesn't need to be made, He exists through Himself. Again, another fact, unless we want to talk about a God who by definition is not God. In a way, this is proof of God -- that He is the One who exists through Himself and is All-Powerful (He couldn't possibly not exist because His very name and definition attest Him). Ultimately, since God is unknowable through human means alone and by defintion exists through Himself, you are only left with denying Him, rejecting Him or accepting and loving Him. Honestly speaking, it's the only thing a human can actually do. And the Bible pretty much revolves around this fact taking God's existence and will as a given; actually God Himself reveals Himself as recorded in The Bible. In the Bible it is never presupposed that God exists or doesn't exist, but He simply reveals Himself and interracts with humanity. Arguments pro or against God's existence other than His trascendence are not really decisive, but they most definitely can act as supports, can help one know more about Him. Yet, ultimately you are left with a personal choice: either take the risk to reject or to accept Him.

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

A person who asks the question posited is bound, as we all are, really, to thinking within time.  The question assumes some 'beforeness'.  The starting point, I think, is to try to accept that time itself was created by the Creator Who exists outside of time and so Who is not to be thought as having anybody before Him.  To paraphrase as well-known saying, a God Who was created would not be God.

Edited by Andreas Moran, 10 November 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#6 Jack R.

Jack R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

There is an Ultimate, Uncaused, Cause who is outside of space and outside of time. 

That is why He had no beginning--- because He is outside of a beginning (time) and space.  He is truly Eternal.

Although some have tried to debunk it, the Kalaam Cosmological Argument is till a good argument for the above

http://www.leaderu.c...h/3truth11.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users